Wednesday 17 February 2010

WINOL - Week 2 Diary

The traffic on the website for the first week wasn't very good at 88, so I knew had to increase the traffic this week. I started this by developing a leaflet to post through doors in the Winchester area.

On Tuesday, Glenn (news planning) had agreed to drive Stu (chief news reporter) to a location to film his story but Glenn's exhaust fell off and as I was the only other person with a car I was asked ifIi would go and pick up Stu and take him to his location to film his story. HIs story was about the road closures in Stanmore, it had started off as more a case study on a single student and his journey to the University which was good but I wanted to make it better. I remembered that when St. Cross road first closed there was a story about it on 'South Today' and they spoke to someone at the pub and the fish and chips shop on the closed road. with this knowledge in hand I suggested to Stu that we phone the pub now and ask if they would do and interview, they agreed and instantly the story was a lot stronger. Unfortunately there was no one at the fish and chips shop but Stu did get some good shots of it to show when the lady from the pub talks about it. This then became the top story in the bulletin and I was very proud to have been a part of it.

On Wednesday, I finished the leaflet that I was developing and after what seemed like an endless struggle against technology, managed to fit two of them on to one A4 page. I printed off about 30 pages (60 leaflets) then cut them all down to size and set off to the surrounding roads of the University and delivered them. See below for a picture of the finished leaflets. 60 leaflets covered about a road and half. I knew if i wanted to seriously increase the viewing figures that I needed to increase the amount of leaflets that I was producing and delivering and that is what i plan to do next week.


The bulletin was lot better this week. Especially editorially. I think it helped a lot that we were just generally more prepared and everyone had taken their roles in the studio a lot more seriously this week.

Here is the Winchester News Online bulletin - 17/02/10

No comments: