Wednesday 24 February 2010

WINOL - Week 3 Diary

The traffic for week 2 was almost the same as week 1 at 90. This week I planned to increase the production of the WINOL leaflets that I had developed last week and get them out to a lot more houses to see if this would increase the traffic.

Production Editor Chanin managed to get a link to Winchester News Online on the BBC website, listing us an other local news provider in the Hampshire area, this is a very good because this website has a page rank of 3 and is now linking to us. To see the link, click here. Together we also did a bit of a clean up on the site week. As the bulletin is the main focus of Winchester News Online the website often gets forgotten about and the fact that the news reporters do not submit text versions of their stories doesn't help. As we continue to improve the bulletin the site stays the same but I am hoping when the bulletin is a good as we can make it we can focus more on the site. Essentially we are going to be doing this until the summer so we do have enough time, just not really enough people.

Due to the lack of people in the production team I was asked to do sound for the bulletin this week, I had never done this before but was told it was easy. Essentially all you have to do is turn up the presenters when they are speaking and turn up the VT's when a package is playing. It is easy but if you get it wrong then it will ruin the bulletin so it is a very tense job. However I think I did a pretty good and didn't have any major problems but there is a slight sound issue with the title sequence at the beginning as I wasn't sure Stu was going to come in as early as he did.

I spent Tuesday printing off, cutting out and delivering more leaflets, I delivered about 100 in the Stanmore area. Due to doing the sound for the bulletin on Wednesday I didn't have time to deliver many more leaflets and had a lot left over about about 5pm and no-one else wanted to post them which is fair enough since it is my job, however Stu did take a few to post and I posted the rest.

Due to the time consuming (and paper consuming) constraints of the leaflets and the fact that people that received them have no reason to go to the website I then remembered my fantastic competition, 'Date with Fate' that I ran last year to get traffic to the site. People went to the site because they were in with a chance of winning Bop tickets (Bop is a student night out in Winchester). I then made the executive decision to bring back Date with Fate next week in an effort to boost traffic to the site in a more efficient way. I would only have to hand out tickets to people around the University campus not to houses all around Winchester.

Due to me wanting to take more a of director role in 'Date with Fate' I decided to give the first years a chance to present by posting a message on the message board advertising the chance for them to present and therefore improve their in front of camera skills. I was thinking of doing a different presenter each week and had the first one lined up as my friend in the first year Laura Dickson.

The bulletin is getting better and better week after week. I think now we also seem to have out own style, which I think is very hard thing to achieve for University students like ourselves.

Here is the Winchester News Online bulletin - 24/02/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.